Are you the one in four who could be paying the wrong tax?

Oct 3, 2014 | TC blog

Everyone who has tax deducted by their employer or pension provider will have a “code”, for example 1000L, on their payslip. Being able to check it’s correct could save you a lot of money and stress!

For the current tax year most people are entitled to personal allowances of up to £10,000, which is the starting point for most tax codes. If you have no other benefits or income, and no business expenses, you are likely to have a code 1000L. This means that your employer will not deduct tax from the first £10,000 you earn (spread over the year).

If you receive benefits from your employer, for example private medical insurance, a company car, etc these are taxed by amending your code. So, if your employer pays private medical insurance for you of £500, this is deducted from your tax free £10,000 leaving £9,500 personal allowances. Your code would then become 950L. If you also have a company car, with a benefit of £1,500, your personal allowances will reduce to £8,000, and your code is now 800L.

If you pay expenses relating to your employment, for example a subscription to a professional body, these are tax deductible. If you pay a £300 annual subscription this is added to your allowance, so in our example the allowances would go from £8,000 to £8,300 and your code becomes 830L.

Do you have a code with an M1, K, DO, BR or NT in it? Check out next week’s blog to find out what these mean.

Other posts you might like:

Halloween 2022

Why did the ghost stumble home on Halloween? Because he was wearing an off balance sheet! Luckily, the costumes and decor at the Thomson Cooper Halloween bash were considerably better than my jokes.

read more

Careers In Focus – Graduate Trainee Malcolm

Our Careers in Focus series continues with Malcolm McCrindle, one of our graduate trainees working in the audit team. As a mature student, Malcolm chose to change his career path and is now working towards becoming a professionally qualified accountant.

read more