Are you looking to further your career in Tax? Do you want to be part of a team who put their people at the heart of what they do? Then come and join our growing tax team as a Tax Assistant. At Thomson Cooper our purpose is to “listen, advise and support our clients to achieve their goals” and having the right people on board to deliver that service is key. As a dynamic growing firm, we are looking for people who share our purpose and values to join us and make a positive impact.
Thomson Cooper in an independent firm of Accountants and Business Advisors operating across Central Scotland with offices in Edinburgh and Dunfermline We have grown from our small beginnings to now having 9 partners and over 90 staff. In recent years our Tax portfolio has grown significantly both in corporate and personal.
At Thomson Cooper we nurture talent and offer training and development opportunities to ensure we get the best from our people. Working in smaller teams helps us maintain personal relationships and our values are at the heart of everything we do.
- Preparation of corporate or personal tax computations in support of tax provisions, for submission to HMRC together with the tax return
- Assisting with proposals for new engagements
- Compliance work and submission of tax computations
- Co-ordinating tax payments, loss relief, capital allowances and other claims
- Maintaining an up-to-date technical knowledge of corporation, business and personal tax
- Oral and written communication with HMRC on client’s behalf
- Administrative duties – scanning, filing of tax return information and returning to client
- Liaising with colleagues in the audit and accounting departments to provide a co-ordinated service to the client
- Maintaining contact with smaller clients on day-to-day tax matters
- Managing a small portfolio of smaller/ simpler corporate or personal tax clients, ensuring:
- all tax payments, and tax returns filings, are dealt with on a timely basis
- all appropriate claims and elections are made to minimise tax liabilities
- tax planning opportunities are identified and, where appropriate, pursued
- Contributes positively to the team working environment, taking ownership and supporting colleagues where appropriate
- Delivering a service that exceeds clients’ expectations.
- Ideally at least 2 years’ experience within a tax team
- Commitment to deliver first class service
- Ability to work on own initiative and to tight deadlines
- Good technical knowledge and IT skills
- Strong communication skills both oral and written
- Can demonstrate a track record of success working within a team
- Studying towards tax qualification or ATT qualified
- Adaptable and organised with a commercial approach
- Ability to exercise judgement and work under supervision of line manager
- A competitive salary
- Hybrid, agile and flexible working practices
- Student Mentoring programme
- Study support package, if applicable.
- Access to paid CPD training and payment of subscriptions to professional bodies
- Workplace Pension and 3 x Life Cover
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Access to our Reward Gateway
- Regular one to one meetings to assist personal development
- Opportunity to participate in our Healthy Working Lives or ESG Groups
As part of the recruitment process, you must provide evidence of your right to work in the UK. Please be aware that this post does not satisfy the qualifications or salary requirement to qualify for skilled worker sponsorship, and Thomson Cooper do not currently hold a valid skilled worker sponsor licence to employ workers from outside the UK.