Are you in your 3rd Year of a degree and considering a career in public practice accountancy? Do you want to be part of a team who put their people at the heart of what they do?
At Thomson Cooper our purpose is to “listen, advise and support our clients to achieve their goals” and having the right people on board to deliver that service is key. As a dynamic growing firm, we are looking for people who share our purpose and values to join us and make a positive impact.
Thomson Cooper in an independent firm of Accountants and Business Advisors operating across Central Scotland with offices in Edinburgh and Dunfermline. We employ 100 staff and the practice has 9 partners. In recent years our client portfolio has grown significantly, offering all accountancy services from tax advice and software training to debt solutions and wealth management. We have clients across a wide range of sectors and industries.
At Thomson Cooper we nurture talent and offer training and development opportunities to ensure we get the best from our people. Working in smaller teams helps us maintain personal relationships and our values are at the heart of everything we do.
Many of our staff have trained with us and moved through the ranks to senior levels, including most of our current partners. Working closely with senior staff and partners, the successful candidates will benefit from excellent, on the job training.
With various opportunities available, this 8-week placement commencing in mid to late June will augment your studies with work-based tasks and assignments. You will be assigned to one of our specialist departments which include, tax, audit, outsourcing, general practice and insolvency. You will learn first-hand what it is like to work in a busy, thriving accountancy practice. Our aim during the internship is develop and challenge the individual, creating a rounded experience that will give you greater insight to the work of a practicing accountant in Scotland today.
- You will expect to achieve a minimum 2:1 in your degree course, graduating June/July 2025.
- You will have Scottish Highers (or equivalent) in English and Mathematics at grade B or above.
- You will be able to demonstrate an understanding of what it is to work in an accountancy practice. You will be able to communicate what attracts you to the profession.
- You should be able to demonstrate to us that you take pride in your work and have a good attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Strong communication skills are a must.
- Real Living Wage employer
- Student Mentoring Programme
- Varied experience in one of our specialist departments
- Opportunity to speak to our graduate trainees and understand more about what it is to work in practice and train as a chartered accountant.
If you are in your 3rd Year of study and you wish to apply, please send your CV together with a covering letter or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: this position is only open to students who are currently studying in their third year of an undergraduate course at University. For other work experience or training opportunities, please refer to our website or email email@example.com
As part of the recruitment process, you must provide evidence of your right to work in the UK. Thomson Cooper do not currently hold a valid skilled worker sponsor licence to employ workers from outside the UK.