Graduate Apprenticeship in Accounting
- Do you have a keen interest in a career in accountancy?
- Would you like the chance to learn your profession and earn a competitive salary while completing a degree and internationally recognised professional qualification?
- Do you have strong Higher or A level results?
We have a fantastic opportunity for you to start your career in an accountancy practice, by completing a Graduate Apprenticeship in Accounting.
The Graduate Apprenticeship in BA (Hons) Accounting with ICAS is an accredited work-based learning programme that combines an honours degree award from Robert Gordon University and the globally recognised Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS) qualification. This funded training opportunity lasts 5 years in total and on successful completion of the course, you will attain a BA (Hons) in Accounting as well as your CA qualification.
Thomson Cooper in an independent firm of Accountants and Business Advisors operating across Central Scotland with offices in Edinburgh and Dunfermline. We employ over 90 staff and the practice has 9 partners. We offer a broad range of accountancy services from tax advice and software training to debt solutions and wealth management. We have clients across a wide range of sectors and industries.
At Thomson Cooper we nurture talent and offer training and development opportunities to ensure we get the best from our people. Working in smaller teams helps us maintain personal relationships and our values are at the heart of everything we do.
Many of our staff have trained with us and moved through the ranks to senior levels, including most of our current partners. Working closely with senior staff and partners, the successful candidates will benefit from excellent on the job training.
- You will gain experience over the course of the five years in all aspects of professional accountancy in practice including:
- Cloud accounting and bookkeeping
- VAT return preparation
- Preparation of accounts for SMEs
- Corporate and personal tax
- Management reporting
- Forecasting, budgeting and financial analysis
- You will develop your meta-skills in relation to self-management, social intelligence and innovation
We are looking for an enthusiastic and hard-working individual. Ideally you will have achieved (or expect to achieve by August 2023) a minimum of BBBB Highers at first sitting or equivalent A levels. You will need to have a minimum of a B pass in Nat 5 Mathematics and English. During the selection process, we will be looking for you to be able to demonstrate:
- A clear commitment to studying towards a degree in accountancy and professional qualification
- An enthusiasm for the profession and an understanding of what is involved in a career in accountancy
- Effective communication skills by listening and asking the right questions
- That you take pride in your work through accuracy and attention to detail
- Are a responsible person who is punctual and can work to deadlines
- You are able to travel to client premises to complete audit/accounts work, following initial training
- You are willing to travel to Aberdeen to attend University classes and exams around 6 times per year
We will also consider applications from individuals who have some practice experience already and are looking to start their studies and progress their career in accountancy.
- Fully funded course and ICAS exam entry fees
- Earn while you learn – a competitive salary
- Career development for motivated individuals
- Workplace Pension and 3 x Life Cover
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Access to our Reward Gateway
- Dedicated mentor and regular one to one meetings
We take pride in having a great team of people. You can find out more about what life is like at Thomson Cooper by visiting our website and reading more about our team.
As part of the recruitment process, you must provide evidence of your right to work in the UK. Please be aware that this post does not satisfy the qualifications or salary requirement to qualify for skilled worker sponsorship, and Thomson Cooper do not currently hold a valid skilled worker sponsor licence to employ workers from outside the UK.